Wednesday, February 20, 2013

In Memory of Daisy Love Merrick

The faith and courage of this little girl........

Since my nephew Austin was diagnosed with cancer, my awareness of childhood cancer has increased.  So when I saw that a pastor I had heard several times when he visited my old church, I watched his sermon that was posted on Pray For Daisy.  Britt Merrick is gifted in preaching and has great faith in God, though he struggles like anyone and is human like me.  He and his wife Kate have traveled a road many of us will never experience this last three years.  I was so encouraged by that first sermon.  Last week, after a long hiatus, Britt preached again.  His sermon, When Sparrows Fall could not have come at a better time to encourage me in my faith in God and His presence.

For a while now, I have struggled with fear of illness and death.  It is usually in the back of my mind, sometimes it is all consuming.  To be encouraged by this family who is watching their sweet 8 year old daughter suffer through terrible pain as well as the less painful side effects of hair loss and weakness has been instrumental in my resolve to not allow Satan this foothold of fear in my life.  Though it is still a struggle for me, I find that surrounding myself with those who can encourage me and pray for me is vital.

Daisy was healed as she entered the arms of Jesus this past week.  That sweet girl has touched so many lives and has bolstered the faith of thousands.  It has given me a perspective on my own faith.  It reminds me that I have to rely on God completely for the faith I want to have in Him.  I cannot do it alone.

Her memorial service is going to be streamed live.  I am looking forward to it with great anticipation.  I cannot wait to hear about the life of such a colorful and beautiful little flower named Daisy Love.

Below is the verse Kate used in her last post about the last few weeks for their family.  To be encouraged by a mother who has just said goodbye to her precious child to pay attention to what matters and what endures in the life I make with my children is inspiring to say the least.
 
“I know The Lord is always with me. I will not be shaken, for He is right beside me. No wonder my heart is glad, and I rejoice. My body rests in safety. For you will not leave my soul among the dead or allow your holy one to rot in the grave. You will show me the way of life, granting me the joy of your presence and the pleasures of living with you forever.” (Psalm 16:8-11 NLT)

*I included quite a few links in this post.  I encourage you to look through them when you can.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Thank you Amber. Thank you for this post, & thank you for praying for us. These fears of ours, as mothers, are very real. They can tear us apart, or be offered as a sacrifice to the One who sees. You totally get it. Love to you & your beautiful family.